BEAUTY: Proactiv Pros & Cons and my Experience!

I'm a grown adult and occasionally, I break out..  I try my best to take very good care of my skin by using the best products and researching what kinds of ingredients I should and shouldn't be using.  Today I wanted to touch on the very popular Proactiv and share with you my experience as well as list some of the pros and cons of their products.

IMG_2836

I tried the Proactiv years ago. I was a late bloomer so my acne didn't start until late in the game.  I was so excited to receive my set because I was so sure it was going to work.  This $40 kit was going to clear away all of my blemishes and make my face smooth and clear!  I mean, how could I not believe it?  One of my favorite celebrities was endorsing the brand that year.  

Before I get into my own personal experience, let me list a few pros and cons.

Pros: 
It works
It's easy 3 step process
It's affordable
It's been around for years

Cons: 
- You won't see immediate results with you blemishes. Most cases takes up to 2 months to notice any difference
- Does not work on severe acne or deep rooted blemishes 
- May dry out your skin
- May cause skin irritation
- You must continue to use proactiv in order for it to work
- Product may bleach your face, clothes, hair.

IMG_2837 IMG_2846 IMG_2849

My experience:  I had very oily skin at the time so I wasn't worried about the product drying my skin out. In fact, I thought it would help balance out my skin PH but I was wrong.  Proactiv actually irritated my skin to the point of peeling.   I remember having flaky skin like I had a bad sun burn.  I stopped using it after 2 weeks.  I just couldn't take my skin peeling and looking so dehydrated.  Needless to say, I didn't complete the use.  It just wasn't for me.  This was the product that taught me to never believe in celebrity endorsements!  

If you want more information on the pros and cons of Proactiv, take a look at facingacne.com for their detailed review on the brand.  Facingacne also does a nice comparison to other acne medication brands.

IMG_2879

Have you tried Proactiv?  If so, what was your experience? 

*items shown were sent to me by facingacne for my consideration.  All opinions and photos are my own. 

Labels: ,