Sharing is Caring: Grow Your Instagram Followings, Part ONE

Over the weekend I took to my snapchat and asked you guys what you wanted to know about social media and of course the most common question that came back was,

"How Can I Grow 
My Instagram Following?"

 On Saturday I shared with the Stylecon attendees 5 tips that I felt were helpful for me so I thought I would create a blog series and share my experience.  I have to preface and say that if I had all of the right answers you would think I'd have over a million followers right?  But I don't..  These tips are what I believed helped me but you must consider that what worked for me, may not work for you... Just keep that in mind when reading.  I briefly touched on a few tips in this post but today I wanted to dig a little deeper and just focus on just one tip.  Don't worry, I'll be back next week for more so make sure you stay tuned.


PART ONE - Create An Overall Theme For Your Instagram Feed

When someone decides to click on your Instagram name to view your profile you have about 3-5 seconds to make an impression.  In those 3-5 seconds, your guest is either going to stick around and possibly follow you, or just leave and not follow you at all.

IMG_1477)

When I click on someone's IG profile, the first thing I notice is the colors of the photos... I personally find it a bit unattractive and not so easy on the eyes when the color palette is all over the place.  Most of the time, I end up leaving those profiles without even finding out what the feed is about.  I recommend having a consistent color scheme for your page.

simplyxclassic, how to grow my instagram following? How to get more followers?  tips,
(my ghetto visual board I presented at Stylecon)

Play around with lighting, editing and filters to find the exact one you love and try to stick to it the best you can.  My instagram feed features a lot of natural light photos,  I don't like to over saturate my colors.  I try to stick to a light and airy color scheme but again, to each their own.. Find the style you like and go for it!  Here is an example of two completely different styles but each instagramer sticks to their own color scheme throughout their feed.  They both create a visually beautiful collage.

      

(@mija_mija & @carolinetran)

Next, start thinking about what you want your Instagram feed to say about you. What is it that you want people to know?  Are you a food blogger?  Are you a mom?  Are you a wedding photographer?  As soon as they click on your profile name, the first thing your guest will see are your top 6 photos.  Obviously if they see that all 6 photos are of food, you're either a food blogger or a food enthusiast!  Take a look at your top 6 photos and see what they say about you... From there you can start to build your feed on how you want to be represented with each photo you upload.

Here are a two examples of what I'm talking about.

      

(@karlareed & @laceandlocks)

   Are you guys with me or have I lost ya for good?! 
The bottom line is, try be consistent with your style in the photos you post.
I really hope this Part ONE was helpful.  Let me know your thoughts in the comments below! 

Labels: , , , ,