LIFE: A Reflection Of What's Important.

I love family beach days.
It's funny because even though we live near the beach we rarely go...but every once in a while, we'll pack up our beach tent (because I'm deathly afraid of the sun) and head out to the water.  I have no idea what it is about the beach but for some reason it always makes me reflect on life.
On this particular day I was thinking about all of things that pull me away from what really matters in life.

IMG_9474

For example, my phone.  My phone is a huge distraction to our family quality time.  Every 10 minutes or so, my phone is bing bonging off the walls with emails, texts or some sort of social media notification.  I am glued to my phone out of fear that I'll miss out on something important, but the truth of the matter is, I'm missing out on the time I have with my husband and my daughter.  I bet Rylie could draw an exact duplicate of the top of my head because I am always looking down at my phone.

I shared this photo on instagram a few weeks ago and what I wrote in the caption is very much true.  Rylie takes her play phone EVERYWHERE and will get very upset when she can't find it with her toys.  She even takes pretend selfies - no joke!  It was a rude awakening for me to realize that she was attached to her phone because she saw me so attached to my phone.

IMG_9444 IMG_9460
IMG_9537
IMG_9527 (how nice would it be to always have someone to pick us up to protect us when the waves come crashing in)

Rylie is at the sweet age where she is learning by example and I don't want to teach my daughter that my phone (or things on my phone) are more important than my family.
Because of this reason alone,  I decided to disconnect my work email on my phone.  It's been a few days since the disconnection and I can't even tell you how liberating it is!  It's nice to just enjoy my time with my daughter without any distractions and surprisingly, I've been a lot more productive with my email replies too.  It's so much better to read work emails for the first time on my laptop and reply right away rather than 'at a glance' on the phone and then forget to reply later...

IMG_9619 IMG_9478 IMG_9480
IMG_9453

I don't strive to be a perfect mom because I know myself that I'll never be one or even come close to it. Instead,  I just want to be a mom worthy of Rylie's imitation.

similar top // shorts // hat // sunnies





Labels: , , , , , ,